On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:35:40 +0200
mcassar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> so most of you _do_ use or prefer csup/cvsup more than portsnap, right?

Welcome! :)

yes and no :P I like portsnap. faster.

For my ports, i run this script ( ~/bin/update_ports.sh)

#!/bin/sh
sudo portsnap fetch && sudo portsnap update
---
( sudo is the port security/sudo and it allows for fine grained control
root-access to certain commands only )

There are 2 ports that will help you with management of your ports/packages -
ports-mgmt/portupgrade and ports-mgmt/portmaster ( which
means /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade/ , etc... )  - they can tell you what
needs updating,etc (can't remember if it is in the handbook...)

Anyway, for my src tree:
1) my /etc/make.conf has :
[...]
SUP_UPDATE=YES
SUP=/usr/bin/csup
SUPFLAGS=-g -L 2 -P m
SUPFILE=/usr/local/etc/standard-supfile
NO_PORTSUPDATE=true
[...]

-----
the NO_PORTSUPDATE=true is so the std supfile doesn't pull in ports too. (maybe
i don't need it anymore, but it really doesn't break anything).

The /usr/local/etc/standard-supfile is :

*default host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/var/db
*default prefix=/usr

## next line can have a date to peg src tree to a particular date :
date=2007.12.05.01.00.00
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7

*default delete use-rel-suffix

*default compress
src-all
----------------------

and to update,
cd /usr/src && sudo make update

Mind you, I am tracking STABLE. and use this because i have a custom kernel
(just because i can :P ). For those of my machines which use GENERIC,i just use
freebsd-update as explained by Giorgios already.

Any issues, just shoot more emails :)

Have fun!
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Quantum Logic Chicken:
  The chicken is distributed probabalistically on all sides of the
  road until you observe it on the side of your course.

Warned.