It appears that the problem of getting mrtg to start may
have something to do with perl and libraries. I installed mrtg on another
FreeBSD6.3 system today. That system would have
worked so I began poking around on both systems and then it hit
me. It's terribly obvious after one realizes what is wrong.

        The problem system complains:

Can't locate SNMP_util.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ---

and then a ls showing everything else that is there.

        The working test system does have:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/SNMP_util.pm

The problem system actually has an extremely similar file name:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Net_SNMP_util.pm

        Easy to overlook but still a totally different file name.

        Gee, what if I just link the missing name to the good
file as in ln -s Net_SNMP_util.pm SNMP_util.pm

That produced:

Subroutine version redefined at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/SNMP_util.pm line 394.

and so on for 22 lines of similar squawks. I did briefly have
net-snmp installed on that system but it has been deinstalled
unless it left a library or two lying around.

There is no need for net-snmp so if I could figure out what it
put on and make sure it is gone, that might fix the problem.

Martin McCormick