On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Pieter Donche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> FreeBSD 7.0 comes with the user root with start up shell /bin/csh
> As normal user I use bash (/usr/local/bin/bash installed)
> I would prefer to have bash also when working as root (su).
> Of course I can do
> # bash
> [root ~]# or I could change the startup shell in /etc/passwd, but would that
> be a wise
> thing to do or not?

If your system is having a bad time, falling back to statically-linked
/bin/csh can help you out in a jam, whereas pointing way off to
/usr/local/bin/bash could spell trouble if say, you can not mount
/usr.

As prad pointed out, you can "su -m".  I myself prefer "sudo -s".  You
could also just type "bash".

Sincerely,
-daniel

--