Pieter Donche skrev:
I have - in the same subnet - a WinXP PC and a multi-boot PC with
a) OpenSuse10.3, b) FreeBSD-7.0 (and c) WinXP)

I installed the free X-Windows server Xming on the WinXP PC,
and I can connect to the other PC when it is booted in OpenSUSE 10.3:
Xming is configured for 'open session via XDMCP', I specify fully qualified hostname and I get the openSUSE username/password login
screen, etc...

(I didn't need to change anything in the OpenSuSE)

But when that PC is booted into FreeBSD - XMing only gives me a screen with a grey background and a black X - connection seems not established.

The FreeBSD runs KDM as window manager and KDE as desktop.

Why and how to remedy?

Hello Pieter,

You might want to look over your settings in the following:

/usr/local/lib/X11/wdm/Xclients

Make sure that paths/names etc are ok for the section about kde

        startkde*|kde*|KDE*)
                # startup kde
                STARTKDE_PATH=startkde
                if ! test -x $STARTKDE_PATH ; then
                        FindInPath $STARTKDE_PATH
                        if test -n "$result" -a -x "$result"; then
                                STARTKDE_PATH="$result";
                        fi
                fi
                if [ -x $STARTKDE_PATH ] ; then
                        echo Starting kde >$HOME/.xwm.msgs
                        exec $STARTKDE_PATH -console >>$HOME/.xwm.msgs 2>&1
                fi
                ;;

You should look for eventual settings for displaymanagers for KDM - I am sorry but I don not know where/how/if KDM has a setting for this. WDM has this in the wdm-config file - maybe KDM has something similar?

(The wdm setting is like this:
  DisplayManager*wdmWm:  WindowMaker:FluxBox)

You should also check your Xorg log files for any messages - they should be in /var/log.

Greetings

/Roger