But say that I yanked the photos and used just plain text: 8-bit chars
        perhaps, and created my own CDROM version.  --I *wouldn't* waste my time
        duplicating this collection, but say that I did.  Could this be done in
        plain HTML and not require an ISO disc?
you may use tar as it was said, but you may too use ANY filesystem on CD.

unix don't differentiate between CD, DVD and harddisk.
DVD is just readonly disk for unix.

you may create say UFS filesystem on DVD-sized image or partition and then record it.

just make sure your fragments are 2k or more