On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:15:08 -0500
Akenner <slackwarew...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Glen Barber wrote:

> >> Yes I have. I read that whenever installing something new I should do that
> >> so it can find new things.
> >>

> > Did that not work? Is the problem still present?  What happens if you
> > log out and log in again?
> >

> Basically it does the same thing. I used the pkg_add as I said, and once
> I finished, I did the rehash thing, and then logging in and out doesn't
> seem to change it. Is there a chance the package itself is messy?
>
> I was told to try whereis and did so, and it said /usr/ports/net-im/aim
> and when I typed the direct path, it said permission denied, so I tried
> su to root, and ran it again, and it said the same thing...Which is a
> little strange being root.

Even root is not allowed to execute a directory. :)

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the package, though I didn't install it.
Possibly you already know that this is a linux program. Therefore you
need to have linux_enable="YES" in your /etc/rc.conf.

Your first problem, though, is that the package installs a wrapper
script as /compat/linux/bin/aim that I believe is supposed to be
/usr/local/bin/aim instead. So of course it is not in your search
path. Verify that the script is there, and, if it is, try copying it to
the correct location.