guys, this is for any compression experts on-list.  my main desktop is
nearly
        full.  i'm looking for the best means of compressing [mostly] audio
files.
        mp3, ogg, and .flag.  i cross backup among my servers and would like to
have

mp3 is already compressed as ogg

flac is lossless compression, you may convert to mp3 with lame so it'll get few times smaller.

lame -h -V 3 is actually higher quality than anyone could hear.

        the most reasoned approach to compressing my ~/Music/ files.  is
rar/unrar
        better that bzip -9?  is there any new/forthcoming archiver on the
horizon?

for compressible non-media files, i use grzip (ports/archivers/grzip)
grzip -b8m -m3 usually gives best compression, and always better than bzip2 -9, and packs faster