Tsu-Fan Cheng wrote:
Hi,
   I am rebuilding ports and realize that i have too many input/video
drivers for x-win installed. i know i need nv driver since my graphic
card is from nvidia, and i want to deinstall all others. but i am not
sure if its safe to do so, e.g. i am confused by "xf86-video-chips"
since i don't know what kind of "chip" that stands for. can someone
tell me which are basics and which are safe to remove? thanks!!

TFC

Depending on what versions of things you use the nvidia-driver port and /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau may be replacements for the nv driver. Honestly I'm not really sure what the xf86-video-chips port does, but I don't think it's related to nvidia and is perhaps for older video chipsets.

Something like pkg_cutleaves but you should be very careful using it.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator