Hi, Mel--

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:06 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:
Some coarse reading of ntpd(8) and ntp.conf(5) doesn't lead me to believe it's possible to make ntpd *not* adjust the time. With adjust I don't mean the skew
operation, but really change the time.

Perhaps I've missed it elsewhere in this thread, but I don't believe anyone actually answered the original question, which would be to use:

   -x, --slew
          Slew up to 600 seconds.

Normally, the time is slewed if the offset is less than the step threshold, which is 128 ms by default, and stepped if above the threshold. This option sets the threshold to 600 s, which is well within the accuracy window to set the clock manually.
[ ... ]

It should be surprising that your clock would jump by 6 seconds. Do you have adequate upstream timesources (ie, at least 4) configured, is your local HW clock busted somehow, or are you doing something odd with power-savings mode or running in a VM or something...?

Regards,
--
-Chuck