Tim Kellers wrote:
> I've spent  couple of days getting /usr/ports/news/inn set up on a
> dedicated server and most of the local features are working.  I've
> loaded the newsgroups and the active files from
> ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG, restarted the server and set up an
> upstream peer  collect articles.
> But my client claims I have no newsgroups installed.  Does anyone have a
> hint on further configuration or can someone point me to a resource that
> might clarify the steps to proper configuration?

I've no experience on configuring a news server, but perhaps it would
help if you could share your existing config that you believe works.

Perhaps your client is on a network that forbids direct access to port
NNTP. If your client is on a different network than the one you are
serving off of, perhaps port NNTP is being blocked or otherwise filtered.

${networks} sometimes filter/rate limit/block outright ports that they
*claim* to be overloading their network [0], but no proof has yet been
supplied. Some ${networks} say that specific ports/protocols that may be
used for illegal file sharing are to blame. [1].

Start by stating the *exact* error message your client is getting... if
you can extract such a thing from (him|her), then provide anything you
can find in your NNTP server logfile(s).

Steve

[0]: http://tinyurl.com/l8lo9z
[1]: personally, I use uTorrent frequently to download/re-upload FreeBSD
releases, whitepapers, books and other legitimate content. If I was
throttled because I'm using a certain protocol to perform legitimate
tasks, I'd be PISSED