Recently tried to upgrade my 4.5 box using the 4.7 CDs and ran into a
problem which left me with a partially upgraded system.

I have a 14 GB hard disk so I chose to load all of the canned distributions.
During the early stages of the upgrade, I received a message indicating that
"/usr/src" was not loaded and should be upgraded using the CVSup instead.
OK.

The next set of messages were more problematic and appeared in the following
order:
    Add of packages freetype2-2.1.1 aborted, error code 1

The next message appeared after the program was "...making slices...":
    Hmmm, couldn't even extract the bin distribution.  Start over.

So, I did...three times not realizing that my original kernel was being
trashed along with my config files.  I'm a newbie of sorts and I've spent
the last week fussing and fuming over the time wasted so far with, what I
thought, should have been a relatively simple process.  I'm over it and
ready to move on.  I ran the upgrade again, this time leaving out anything
to do with the X  System.  It ran successfully (?) however, I need to
restore/reinstall certain files this weekend to make it whole again.

What did I miss?  Does one have to become an "expert" to work with this OS?

BTW, I did back up my 4.5 system before attempting the upgrade.

Thanks.