Many thanks to the contributors of the list for their input on this question! I always got quick and detailed answer to my questions on this list, which is very appreciable in this time of (small) trouble.

(I feel sorry for the very poor english I demonstrated in the message I wrote this morning: I was in a hurry!)

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:31:18 +0100, Grünewald Michaël <michaelgrunew...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> Starting the machine by other means, I found that the hard-drive is
>> installed on has bad sectors. I am looking for advices on how to
>> recover from this, if possible.
>
> If there's data on the disk you want to get back, first
> make a dd copy of the drive or the partition in question.
> Use an accurately working disk as the target.

I have backups of the data contained in the broken, so the data on this disc are not a concern. I have however a question: How do I verify that a hard-drive is accurately working if its firmware will hide the bad sectors as long as possible?

>> Basically the question is: shall I discard my hard-drive with bad-
>> sectors, or can I continue using it?
>
> Discard it. Hard disks are cheap today, and bad sectors may
> have the habit to multiply. Don't take that risk.

As the other contributors join their voices
to yours, I will replace the faulty disk ASAP.
--
Thank you a lot,
Michaël