Hello David,

thank you for your comments,

David N wrote:
2009/10/29 Michaël Grünewald <michaelgrunew...@yahoo.fr>:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining LifeTime(hours)
 LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%       458     -
# 2  Extended offline    Aborted by host               70%       456
[...]
If your smartctl says it has used up a spare block
(Reallocated_Sector_Ct), replace the drive ASAP. The drives will tend
to get more and more bad blocks after the the first one is found,
usually because the head is damaging the disks or the head itself is
damaged, or other reasons. If its under warranty they usually replace
is, talk to the manufacturer before hand.

I have Reallocated_Sector_Ct=0 for the faulty drive. Where can I find a key fo reading all the other exciting numbers listed under the banner

``SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
  Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:'' ?

On the hard-drive I use for my backups, a SAMSUNG HD501LJ, all the numbers I read looks fine to me, but I want to be sure. Thus it would be nice have a key for the table that `smartctl -a /dev/ad6' outputs. My two other drives, I use to store my OS and my data, are MAXTOR STM3250820AS (I do not have a RAID setup, it just happens that I have twin hard drives). They both have `Reallocated_Sector_Ct=0' but have positive `Raw_Read_Error_Rate', `Seek_Error_Rate'. Additionally, the faulty drive has positive `Reported_incorrect=119',`Current_Pending_Sector=4294967295' and `Offline_Uncorrectable=4294967295'.

As looking for hints on google leads to many threads discussing hard-drive failures, I did not find what a pleasant description of the signification of these numbers.
--
Kind regards,
Michaël