On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 15:07:34 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
 > On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 01:19:49AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:23:22 -0800 Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
[..]
 > >  >         Wow; the stuff I've never heard about:-)   --I just tried
 > > spkrtest
 > >  >         and have no /dev/speaker.
 > >
 > > # kldload speaker
 >
 >      Thanks!  I just listened to the opening few notes of Star Trek [!]
 >      But very faint and I don't know if the dinky BEL is a chip or a
 >      real speaker.
 >
 >      Anybody know how I can redirect the beep to my speakers?  I miss
 >      the confirmation that vi/vim puts out.
[..]
 > > Some laptops use the sound'card' for speaker, and provide a mixer level.
 >
 >      Should be a way to send the beep to my desktop speakers, then,
 >      right?  I've got volume and power, treble/bass.

Depends entirely on whether the speaker is wired into the sound system.
If so, mixer will show a speaker device, eg on my 10y.o. Armada 1500c:

% mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  80:80
Mixer synth    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  92:92
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  51:51
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: mic

cheers, Ian