On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 03:18:51AM -0500, b. f. wrote:
> On 12/27/09, Gary Kline <kl...@thought.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 02:11:55AM -0500, b. f. wrote:
>
> >     A BEL-per-key drove me beyond the limits back in '99; that isn't
> >     the answer, but to key a truncated bell, a click, at something well
> >     below middle-C: yes, this kind of thing is what I'm thinking of.
>
> Remember, you can control the pitch and duration of the bell, and this
> can change the character of the sound substantially.  Try it and see.

        Can you give me a few suggestions, pul-eze!

> >     What is ed's full email ed[at] where.org, please.
>
> Guess:  FreeB _ _.org. :) (He's cc'ed.)

        Sorry; it was late and my mid wa s fried.  AT least that my excuse!

> >     If he'll give me the clues, I'll share in the hacking.  It is time
> >     to get this feature builtin to the kernel.  Off by default, and on
> >     at some user-tuneable values.
>
> If you are talking about doing this by making the keymaps more
> flexible, it is easily user-configurable, though perhaps not in an
> on/off fashion. ed@ was writing a new console driver for other
> reasons, among them unicode support, and I don't know if he planned to
> tinker with the keyboard-handling code beyond what would be required
> for a interface to a different console driver, but he may be willing
> to help.

        By 'console driver', do you mean a tty driver?  That my my first
        serious driver a *long* time ago.  I'm thinking of something much
        simpler like the keyboard driver.  Not even that; rather, the
        speaker driver that works via the console.   I'm grepping around in
        /usr/src/sys/dev/*.

        I *will* find it, or wherever the code goes.  It may take awhile.

--
 Gary Kline  kl...@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php