Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:59:52 +0100, Chris Whitehouse <cwhi...@onetel.com> wrote:
Seriously? Or joking? How did you measure it?

Well... erm... in fact... I didn't measure anything, I just
utilized the numbers. :-) Modern PCs come with a 700 W power
supply (and more), and the specs for my AS/400e 9406-170 say
654 W with expansion unit (326 W without), measured kVA values
(according to manual) are similar. Weight is 70.5 kg, and
size is two big towers side by side.

Well plenty of people have replied since so no more to add , except you may well win on watts per kilogram :)

My 2 year old desktop uses 60-100 watts depending on how hard it's working.

Sounds like a notebook / laptop class computer.

No it really is a desktop, AMD 3500+ dual core, onboard graphics, but not including the screen.

10 disks and lots of noise must use a few watts, though size and weight wouldn't have that much influence per se :)

But it's more than 10 years old, too old to seriously
measure something! :-)

but seriously its worth measuring if you want to control your energy use. I measured electricity use of my work computer, a standard dell machine. Consumption while in (Windows) shutdown mode is one third of 'in use' consumption and it is in use for about one quarter of the time. So if I don't turn it off at the mains (wall) socket it uses as much electricity while not in use as while in use. Getting anyone to take notice in a corporate environment is impossible but that's another story sigh!

Chris

ps sorry OP, getting a bit OT