Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 11:43:13 +0000, "b. f." <bf1...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Polytropon wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:53:17 +0800, Aiza <aiza21 at comclark.com> wrote:
Trying the set the pkg_add environment variable PKGDIR using this

setenv PKGDIR="/usr/packages"  and get this error message
setenv: Syntax Error.
Of course. The sh shell doesn't have setenv.
It looks like he is actually using csh, because in the Bourne shell
issuing that command usually yields "setenv: not found".  His problem
is that, unlike "export",  setenv doesn't take an "=" between the
variable and the value to be assigned to it.  See csh(1).

Yes, you're right of course, I didn't notice that. The correct
syntax for the setenv command in the C shell is

        setenv VAR "value"

When you are directed to builtin(1), it usually means that you should
refer to the manpage(s) of the shell that you are using for the
information that you need.

That's why I suggested looking at csh's manpage. :-(

I am using root and have a pristine install on freebsd 8.0 so what ever the default shell for root is, is what I am using.