David Brodbeck wrote:
> It also hasn't escaped my notice that the original poster has never come back
> to this thread; I suspect we've been trolled, folks.

That's possible. It's also possible that, after reading the responses to his
inquiry, the original poster decided that his question had been adequately
answered, his concerns were justified, and he should use a different operating
system. If so, I can hardly blame him, even though I personally feel that
boycotting BSD because of its mascot doesn't fit very well with the apostle
Paul's advice to the Corinthian Christians that it was OK for them to buy from
butchers who "sacrifice to daemons" (my own translation of "δαιμονίοις θύει" in
1 Corinthians 10:20).

The original post looks to me like an expression of sincere concern about BSD's
image, not an accusation of satanism or an attempt to start an argument. I
wouldn't call his concern ignorant either: although the UNIX term "daemon" is
not satanic in origin, some aspects of Beastie's appearance are obviously
derived from traditional depictions of the Devil.

Andy Balholm
(509) 276-2065
a...@balholm.com