On Sep 14, 2010, at 11:16 AM, d...@safeport.com wrote:
>> A bit of experimentation suggests that "chmod 7500 .procmail" are the
>> permissions involved, which are silly.  No group permissions enabled means
>> setgid is meaningless, and I don't see any value for using the sticky bit
>> here, either.  Try using 0500, 0700, or maybe 4500/4700 instead.
>
> thanks all - the context of this: the users involved do not know what the
> chmod command is much less its syntax and I did not do this. What I was going
> for was could this be a procmail bug or perhaps something more alarming (to
> me as a sysadmin).

The permissions here are unexpected.  procmail cares about clearing group and
other permissions-- unless GROUP_PER_USER is set (cf
http://partmaps.org/era/procmail/mini-faq.html#group-writable), which usually
would be appropriate for FreeBSD since it encourages all userids to also have a
corresponding groupid.

Regards,
--
-Chuck