I have a few questions and I'll jump right into this.

1a. As I proceed with the full upgrade how do I confirm that crypto is installed and
running properly so that I can remove the symlink and get the system into a
configuration that is more supportable and relying more on default settings?

1b. How do I get rid of the symlink? I looked at man ln and it wasn't very clear. I
have so much to learn :(

> > He brings up a good point. I'm running something that's
> over a year behind and I think it would benefit me to be at
> 4.8 or at least 4.7.
> > Can you point me to a concise document that discusses the
> upgrade procedure?
>
> I don't know of one. Upgrading a binary distribution is
> straightforward, though. Boot the 4.8 CDROM, and select
> "ugprade". That will give you a long warning about how dangerous all
> this is - which you should ignore, because you've backed up your
> system prior to doing this. Go through the upgrade procedure, then use
> the copy of your config files that it saved - I forget where - to
> modify the new versions that were installed so your config files are
> up to date.

You may not know of one but you sure did create one for me here. Thx.

I'll download the 4.8 cdimage and burn a cd.

2. I do not know how to do a back up. I hope there's some program in the system that
will allow me to simply back up only the system related config files since those are
the only thinga that aren't application specific that I've modified from time to time.

I can easily get burn those on to a cd as well or copy them as a backup volume to my
other machine for later restoration.

> Alternatively for that last step, you can copy the your version back,
> and run "/usr/sbin/mergemaster" to merge in the config file changes
> from 4.8. But getting your config files up to date is the only part
> that's not simple.

3a. An interestingly sounding alternative but I'm not sure what you mean by "copy your
version back".

3b. What does my "version" pertain to?
Are you limiting that term to my version of the config files in the sense that I
restore them back to their original locations and a program called mergmaster
"automagically" updates them all with 4.8 settings where appropriate?

> If you want to do a source upgrade, the handbook covers that in "the
> cutting edge". But the sequence is:
>
> # cvsup                       # to get new sources.
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildworld
> # make kernel KERNCONF=whatever       # use your kernel

4a. Where will I find the file that needs to be referenced in place of the word
"whatever"? If you know the directory the KERNCONF file is stored in, great. But some
hints as to the name will go a long way as well if you don't.

> config file name here

4b. This one eludes me as well.

> # shutdown -r                 # reboot new kernel in single user mode.
>
> Then, in single user mode
>
> # fsck -p
> # mount -a
> # cd /usr/src
> # make installworld
> # /usr/sbin/mergemaster
>
> And again, it should all just work, except for the mergemaster step.

I'll read up on mergemaster and formulate my next round of questions when I know more
about it.

>       <mike

Thanks again.

http://www.mired.org/consulting.html