On 11/25/10 18:22, Gary Kline wrote:
[Huge snip]
        What I don't understand is the CF card and howto install
        pfSense.  I'll re-read wherever I have to but some clues would
        certainly help.  I installed pfSense by CDROM initially and
        figure this time the install would be done by thumb-drive.
        [?]

        Pointers, URLs welcome!

If you're installing onto a CF card you want the "embedded" version. You download the version that matches the size of your CF card - there are 512M, 1G, 2G and 4G versions. I went for 4G because I had a convenient card lying around, but it's overkill. You decompress it and simply dd it onto the card (presuming you've got a normal Unix box). This link will help

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Installing_pfSense

This is the embedded category page on the doc wiki

http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Category:Embedded

Then all you do is insert the card into the CF adapter on the Alix board, fire it up and point your web browser at it to do the initial set up. (Don't forget to change the serial line speed to 9600 beforehand.) The initial address is 192.168.1.1, username/password are admin/pfsense. Have fun.

--
"Although the wombat is real and the dragon is not, few know what a
wombat looks like, but everyone knows what a dragon looks like."

        -- Avram Davidson, _Adventures in Unhistory_