On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:32:59 -0500, Brian Callahan <kors...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IANAL, but I have been informed by several lawyers that you cannot do
> this. The Windows 7 EULA, when preinstalled on a machine, states that
> the agreement is between you and the company selling you the computer,
> and "By using the Software, you accept these terms. If you do not
> accept them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the
> manufacturer or installer to determine its return policy. You must
> comply with that policy, which might limit your rights or require you
> to return the entire system on which the software is installed."
>
> The major OEMs will say "OK, then you must return the computer," and
> you have no option but to comply. This is true for the USA.

Erm... and this is NOT a joke? Don't get me wrong, I had a
good laugh about this... agreement... but nothing is too
absurd to be true.

In this specific context, does booting a FreeBSD and removing
the "Windows" from the disk is equivalent to "using the soft-
ware"? If I understand it correctly, "using" relates to the
software, not the hardware.

(Yes, I already understood the strange concept that by
purchasing a "Windows", either by a shiny package or as
preinstalled part of a bundle with PC hardware, you do
not own it, you're not allow to do with it as you please,
instead you rent a limited right to just "use" it under
certain circumstances and terms.)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany