On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 02:39:24PM -0800, Chip Camden wrote:
> Quoth Chad Perrin on Thursday, 24 February 2011:
> >
> > What we have not yet determined is:
> >
> > 1. Is it a good idea to replace (t)csh?
>
> Though I dislike the OP's dismissal of backticks, I must admit that I
> would prefer that the standard shell be at least Bourne-compatible.  I
> use csh for root for all the reasons that you shouldn't change your
> root shell.  I suppose I could change root to /bin/sh, but that doesn't
> even have command recall.  I don't know how many times I've keyed in a
> nicely composed off-the-cuff conditional only to have it fall flat.  I
> have to remind myself to start zsh first when working as root, or start
> getting used to using toor instead, or just always use sudo.

The toor account seems like the right answer here.

In general, I actually prefer the csh-style syntax for an interactive
shell, personally.  I would be willing to deal with sh as the default
shell, and make changes to use tcsh instead as needed, though.  Would I
would not want is to go the other direction -- to change the default
shell to something with too many dependencies and licensing more
restrictive than FreeBSD's preferred license.