On 23/10/2011 09:03, John R. Levine wrote:
   checking for tparm in -lncurses... no

but that's not correct.  libncurses should certainly contain that
symbol.  I get a 'yes' there on my stable/8 machine.  As -lncurses is
part of your LDFLAGS ... hmmm... do you have libncurses on your system
anywhere other than in /lib ?

I have the ncurses-5.9 package installed from ports.  Several gnome
programs depend on it:

pkg_delete: package 'ncurses-5.9' is required by these other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
aalib-1.4.r5_6
gnome-games-2.32.1_2
guile-1.8.8
libcdio-0.82_2
libxine-1.1.19_7

Interesting.  Can you try moving /usr/local/lib/libncurses.* and
/usr/local/include/ncurses.h aside temporarily and then rebuild emacs?
If that works, then looks like you've found a bug in the editors/emacs
port, which should be reported to the port's maintainer.

Yup, that fixed it. I'll file a bug report. I tried rebuilding some of the packages that allegedly depend on the ncurses port, and they all seemed to work OK, so the right solution may be to deprecate the ncurses port or fold it into the mainline system.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",