Robert wrote:

Ideally, I would
like to change these cards to FAT32 but I cannot get there with fdisk
and am not sure how to get there with gpart or if I can.

You can get a small script that erases the primary GPT table
from the front of the HD and the secondary GPT table from the end of the HD.

  http://wiki.freenas.org/faq:0129

Then follow instructions found here.

This will leave you with fat32 format on your md cards. Then insert into ms/windows system and use windows explorer to select the drive letter of the md card, right mouse click for pull down menu, select format to reformat for ntfs format.