On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, Robert wrote:

I did discover that an external card reader I was using on the Windows XP computer is defective. It had a bent pin and another recessed pin. I hope that is not what damaged these cards.

Ouch. That sounds like a logical cause. Although the card itself has sockets, and would hopefully still work in a good reader... A bad pin would explain why they show similar but not identical capacity.

Have these cards
been heavily used to the point where they may be failing?

I couldn't say for sure but I am waiting for answers from
the photographer/owner about other questions. She does take an
incredible amount of photos so I would guess they have been used and
clear many times.

I was thinking of them being used as drive in a computer application. In that kind of use, flash drives are reported to last 1.5 to 3 years.

I was attempting to force another look at /dev/da1 to see any change
not actually zero out anything.

Oh.  A little easier: true > /dev/da0

I did a lot of my testing in single user but switched to multi so that
I could more easily cut and paste tests and results.

Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier. It really should make no difference here.