On 05/01/2012 06:43 AM, Polytropon wrote:
Except buying (good) books, you can also search for
articles on the web. For example, "A Fast File System
for UNIX" by M. K. McKusick is very interesting (at
least it was for me when I lost all my important data).

Some fs-related articles here:
http://www.mckusick.com/articles.html

They help you to understand how things work or what
maybe makes them stop working.:-)

Also the documentation of tools like TSK (ports/sleuthkit),
ex TCT, is very helpful in understanding all the low-level
details that_really_  matter when you_need_  to get your
hands dirty in order to perform a forensic analysis or to
recover important data. Sadly, that documentation has moved
from local storage in/usr/local/share/doc/sleuthkit/  (where
I've seen it the last time) to some on-line place or Wiki,
something_I_  consider "a bad idea" especially in worst case
considerations (i. e. no internet connection); the only
content in README.txt,

        The docs that used to live in this directory now exist on the wiki:
        http://wiki.sleuthkit.org/

doesn't make it any better, sorry.
   Thanks for the help...I will definitely check McKusick site and the docs
I'm self learning UNIX/programming. so I need all the info and help I can get.:-)