Maybe a hint. I leave always one big release out. With other words. If you
start now with 9, you do not have to move to 10 but you can stick with 9 until
11 comes out. You do not even have to upgrade at the spot.

my as i do - i for now run FreeBSD 8, and will run 9 when it will be needed with new hardware (drivers) or it will have clearly noticable adventages of speed and/or functionality.

I think you see here Linux as a distribution. Things like this are avoided
with FreeBSD itself but not wit the ports. The ports have nothing much to do
with FreeBSD except that they work on FreeBSD.

repeating once again. FreeBSD base system is one complete and consistent thing. ports are another.

If one run program X under linux, it will be the same program X under FreeBSD.