[...]

My one note to the above would be to advise against using it for swap - unless you have enough RAM to make sure you never swap. It doesn't do well in that role, in my experience. (Though that was under a slightly earlier version.)

I remember on SXCE running on my test Sun E420r server that ZFS (can't remember if this was in the spec file or not??) would use **any** usable or unpartitioned file system as swap. I maybe totally off-base with this as I was too knew to investigate the issue and was still learning Solaris at the time but all of a sudden a remote mounted external drive would start getting zapped by I/O usage. Of course it couldn't be any user as the only user for those machines was me and I wasn't doing anything on either system.

That was quite a weird thing, but happened many years ago so my memory is quite hazy on the specifics of the issue too....

I do recall running top to see swap usage at a few tens of gigs which was quite funny, of course unmounting the drive dropped the swap back to whatever got allocated by SXCE default.

Daniel T. Staal

Regards,

Kaya