On Thu, 1 Nov 2012, Leslie Jensen wrote:

I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.

My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).

In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was supplied with the new disk.

When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish because it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.

I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.

Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.

That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as recent as I would have liked.

Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd partition?

If all it did was change the partition type, that should be easy to change back with gpart modify. Untested example below, make a backup of the disk as it is right now first. Clonezilla will make a (large) binary backup.

# gpart modify -i2 -t !165 ada0