Jerry skrev 2012-11-02 12:22:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:26:33 +0100
Leslie Jensen articulated:

I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.

My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd
slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).

In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was
supplied with the new disk.

When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish
because it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.

I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.

Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd
partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.

That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
recent as I would have liked.

Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
partition?

Let me get this straight. You ran the program with the "/F" flag, or
perhaps the "/R" flag which implies "/F", the program then did exactly
what it was designed to do and now you are bitching about it. Like an
attorney who never asks a question of a witness without knowing what
the answer is going to be, never run a program and then hope it somehow
magically knows exactly what you want it to do. Actually, in this case
it did exactly what you wanted it to do. Next time run "chkdsk" sans
flags and it will only report what it would have done.

Yes I ran chkdsk c: /R
It was not my intention to be bitching about it. I just realized that the outcome or the result of the command was not what I had expected. I thought that c: would make chkdsk work only with c:!
I've now learned the hard way that that is not the case.
Usually the nice people here on the list can and will help even when someone makes a mistake.
I hope that there will not be a next time ;-)
/Leslie