On 30.11.2012 13:48, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 13:08 +0100, Gyrd Thane Lange wrote:
On 29.11.2012 05:50, Carl Johnson wrote:
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mard...@rocketmail.com> writes:

Installing PC-BSD 8.2 x64 did work without issues. I unchecked the
bootloader install. Linux grub legacy until now is unable to boot BSD,
because of "Error17: Cannot mount selected partition"

spinymouse@q:~$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
timeout   8
default   0
color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

title FreeBSD
root   (hd0,a)
kernel /boot/loader

[snip]

Linux only recognize the slice, but not what's inside it:
spinymouse@q:~$ sudo fdisk -l

You might want to try a chainloader boot from grub.  The following is a
chainloader rule that I have used, as well as a normal loader boot.  I
use the loader boot, but I also tested the chainloader boot.  You will
need a ufs2_stage1_5 file in your grub directory for a loader boot, and
linux grub might not have it available.

title           FreeBSD, sda3 (oak) chainloader
root            (hd1,2)
chainloader     +1
boot

title           FreeBSD, sda3 (oak) /boot/loader
root            (hd1,2,a)
kernel          /boot/loader
boot

In case you have not got it working yet, I can offer a glimmer of hope
by telling how I managed to multi boot Linux and FreeBSD on MBR logical
partitions.

By using the grub patch at:

<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=158362>
ports/158362: sysutils/grub [patch] allow GRUB to boot FreeBSD from an
extended partition

You must rebuild and reinstall grub (from Linux I guess).

My install is fairly old and from the days when sysutils/grub at least
was installable from within FreeBSD i386. The patch itself does not
touch FreeBSD sources, only grub. So I expect it will build from any
OS/machine that can build grub.

When installed I can boot FreeBSD from an MBR logical partition like so:

title           FreeBSD CURRENT (amd64) (disk1, logical partition s11)
root            (hd0,10,a)
kernel          /boot/loader
boot

Depending upon how recent version of FreeBSD you have installed you may
have to config the FreeBSD loader to find its root file system.
10-CURRENT should be okay.

Best regards,
Gyrd ^_^

Hi :)

I didn't work on my machine, but will continue today or tomorrow. FWIW I
told the PC-BSD installer not to install a bootloader, do I have to
install a FreeBSD loader now, or is it already installed?

It is already installed as /boot/loader. This is a later stage loader.

Not to be confused with the bootstrap code in the boot sector of the entire disk (which you correctly kept as grub instead of overwriting).

On Debian users mailing list I got some replies with recommendations
too.

Thank you!

You're welcome, best of luck!
Gyrd ^_^