At 08:30 AM 1/23/2013, Polytropon wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:49:13 +0530, Hrisikesh sahu wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am facing a strange issue..
> I installed 9.1 release and installation went successful
>  After boot up  i got this error -
>

> File system had an unexpected inconsistency.
> > ufs : /dev/ada0s1d (/var)
> unknown error ; ! Help
> Error - Aborting Boot
>
> Going to single user mode.
>
> #
>

> Please help me if i need to do anything else.

It seems that the /var partition has not been unmounted
properly. Perform a manual file system check and retry.

The command

        # fsck -yf /dev/ada0s1d

should be applied in single user mode, with /var being
unmounted.

To make sure file systems are clean _prior_ to booting
the system, put

        background_fsck="NO"

into /etc/rc.conf; this may lead to longer startup times
when something is "strange" regarding file systems, but
it will prevent you from booting into a possibly damaged
environment (which could cause more trouble and maybe even
data loss, which justifies the longer boot time in my
opinion).

I setup a number of servers with 9.1 and had the same issue. I'm not sure why, all of the installation went with no errors.

I ended up with this in rc.conf:
fsck_y_enable="YES"
background_fsck="NO"
force_fsck="YES"

After a few reboots I was able to take it out.

Also if you have this in /etc/rc.conf:
dumpdev="YES"

It always does a dump even on reboot, which also marks the filesystems as dirty.

-Derek

believed to be clean.