Due to ISP restrictions, I must change the default port on which ftpd
runs in order to enable ftp access to and from my machine.
I had to do the same for my httpd server, but that information was a
bit more accessible.
Reading material has been sparse, but I've read that adding a port
number/range to the ftpd entry /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf might
do the trick.
Is this an acceptible way of going about changing the ftp ports?
If this box is sitting behind a hardware firewall (Linksys router), what
range would you recommend I open in the firewall for a maximum of 5
ftp users?  Same question for security on the FBSD box itself?

Quick sidebar: DNS is setting my domainname to my ISP's domain,
not my local domain, which is causing some problems.  "man
domainname" tells me " The super-user can set the domain name by
supplying an argument", which I assume means "domainname
<domain>".  But this setting does not stick on reboot.  Is there an
easy fix?

Thanks and regards,
John

$ uname -a
FreeBSD gandalf.Optonline.net 5.0-RELEASE
FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 16 22:16:53 GMT 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386