I've never had problems getting a SCSI tape drive to work with FreeBSD;
however, I've never tried any of the proprietary  software solutions.

I use dump/restore with an ADIC VLS DLT changer (20/40GB drive) purchased
on eBay for $200.  I have used an HP DAT changer, Archive DAT changer,
and Sony DAT drive in the past.

Thanks, nice to hear! I was thinking of using afbackup which I have used under Linux. It seems like a very nice tool and if it works just as good in FreeBSD (why wouldn't it :)) it's my choise.

I have never used dump/restore so I think I have to look into them as well.

--
Johan