On Friday, October 10, 2003, at 09:09AM, Mykroft Holmes IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>While there is a Ports system for Darwin/OS X, called GNUDarwin, avoid
>it, as it is notorious for breaking the basic OS install without asking.

or you can use the DarwinPorts collection, which has Apple support behind it (longtime
FreeBSD users will recognize Jordan Hubbard is: he's on the DarwinPorts team).

>Fink is a better alternative, it's pretty much a port of the Debian
>package management system, with somewhat improved source handling. As it
>dumps all downloaded software in /sw, it doesn't break the base install.
>Very nifty. Works very well.

I used Fink for quite a while but it seemed to lose focus on reliability. I moved to
darwinports (which offers source code ports and packages) and it seems to work just
fine.

--
Paul Beard / 8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115 /
paulbeard [at] mac [ dot] com / 206 529 8400

weblog @ <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>