Hello

I've written an OpenSSL plugin for gaim that allows gaim to use the OpenSSL libraries that come installed with FreeBSD. Gaim is a GPL application, OpenSSL is BSD licensed, and apparently there are license issues to deal with as a result.

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

They've said that unless the gaim project sanctions the use of OpenSSL with their code, that I should not release the code. Apparently that would require contacting all of the prior developers to get their permission.

Is this the case, or can I safely release a third party patch that gaim does not depend on to run or compile? The maintainer of gaim on FreeBSD is quite keen to use the patch.

Matthew