If anyone can give me a recipe for setting up poptop
I'd be very grateful. I want to run it on a machine which
is a gateway/firewall. One NIC has a public address and the other
is on a private network, ie 192.168.1.x. I want to allow XP
clients to connect into the private network.

I found the man pages a bit terse(!) and they seem to assume
that kernel ppp will be used whereas AIUI the port is built to
use userland ppp.

I would use mpd but it has problems with XP clients.