Hi. I'm new to FreeBSD, my previous -nix experience coming from OSX and
Debian/Suse linux.  I've been generally very happy with the performance
and relative ease of setup on my 4.8 system.

My biggest problem has been Java.  I've done the diablo 1.3 package and
java seemed to work (java -v), but when I install Tomcat it won't start.
I've done the same install on mac and windows with no problem.  The
stack trace is completely alien to me and I can try to get it if it
would help.

I'm basically wondering if running Tomcat or any other java on this
machine is realistic or not.

How did you install tomcat? Which version?

You say you are new to FreeBSD, so maybe this will help...

cd /usr/ports/
make search name=tomcat

I see 4 different versions in ports... and they all depend on the java-1.4 port (not 1.3) so that is probably one part of the problem.