At 9:20 AM +0000 1/12/04, Martyn Hill wrote:
Paul

I notice that the kernel config file you present is using the "old" device
ata lines - is the ATA controller a particularly old model?

If not, then the LINT kernel config file shows an alternative, viz

device    ata            # just one entry for all ata controllers, no need
to reference IRQs etc...
device    atadisk        # for your IDE disks
device    atapicd        # for your CD-ROM like devices

You should comment out the ata0/ata1 lines before adding the above (and
additionally, remove any "device wd*" lines in that section.)

Then rebuild your kernel.

Hope that helps.

Thanks to all for the effort, but it didn't. The dmesg output still shows only ata0 and ata1. I am starting to believe that the problem lies in the Dell, not in FreeBSD.

I'll work around this by attaching the drive to the second IDE controller and later experiment with adding a third controller on the PCI bus.

--Paul Hoffman