I put 'firewall_enable="YES"' in /etc/rc.conf, in anticipation of rebuilding my kernel with the following options turned on:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100

I rebooted, for unrelated reasons, and now see in the messages file that ipfw2 has been enabled and, indeed, since I have no rules in place, my system is cut off from the network.

I haven't yet rebuilt my kernel, so I don't understand why this kicked in. Did adding that line in rc.conf suck in a kernel module that obsoletes the need for those kernel options? How do I check (I'd do an lsmod, on Linux - don't know what the equivalent FreeBSD command is)?
If it is a module, how do I enable logging, as adding 'firewall_logging="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf didn't turn it on, according to the messages file. Likewise for divert (though I don't currently need it).

Feb 27 14:37:22 peter kernel: ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default to deny, logging disabled

-ste