I would like to stay patched with the latest security advisories. However usually I wait until the next release iso becomes available and do a fresh install that includes all the known exploites. My reason behind this is the "makeworld", "CVSup", and "mergemaster" is very time consuming/complicated. "Mergemaster" especially when I'm merging /etc files that I have no clue what they do. I also don't want "all" sources compiled on my system. I like a minimized OS. I don't want to build "all" sources when I just need these on my system (bin, man, and crypto). The same selection I use from a new install from /stand/sysinstall. Is that possible?

However in the "security advisories" the second option is to download this file and patch the existing source and do a "makeworld"

here is an excerpt of the latest advisory
---
a) Download the relevant patch from the location below, and verify the
detached PGP signature using your PGP utility.

# fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-04:05/openssl.patch
# fetch ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/patches/SA-04:05/ openssl.patch.asc

b) Execute the following commands as root:

# cd /usr/src
# patch < /path/to/patch

c) Recompile the operating system as described in
---

It seem the "makeworld" process is the only way to keep the system patched.

If a tag just the 4_9 Release in the CVSupfile can i just ignore the mergemaster? also can I just CVSup the sources and build the ones I want? (see above)

Thanks in advance

Sean Murphy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]