On Apr 2, 2004, at 12:06 PM, Doug Poland wrote:

Panna wrote:

You see I'm in a state of confusion..

You're simply using a FreeBSD as a file server. You serve up
files to the client via NFS (OS X) or CIFS (Windows). FreeBSD doesn't care. Now if you want FreeBSD to understand and manipulate those files
is a different issue.

See, this is part of where I was getting a little munged up in trying to figure out how I want to aim for renetworking my home...

I'm looking at using FreeBSD on a server (web, mail, file server) with OS X, Windows, and probably Linux clients. I'd like the FreeBSD server to handle authentication, but that may be a pipe dream to accomplish across platforms easily :-/

For the file serving I was looking at NFS (especially using the NFS server with Services for Unix under Windows), but the common cross-platform version may too insecure to use comfortably, especially with wireless (most of my wireless connections are wrapped in ssh if they're important anyway).

That would leave SMB/CIFS, meaning SAMBA, but I haven't found anyone able to tell me if CIFS is secure "over the wire". I seem to recall a utility that would sniff network packets and if NFS is used, it can capture the files as they're travelling over the network; can this happen with CIFS?

I would really rather NOT use mixed protocols to share; NFS for Linux/OS X, CIFS for Windows...then I'd have increased overhead to managing permissions, etc...

Advice?