Bart Silverstrim wrote:
[ ... ]
I'm looking at using FreeBSD on a server (web, mail, file server) with OS X, Windows, and probably Linux clients. I'd like the FreeBSD server to handle authentication, but that may be a pipe dream to accomplish across platforms easily :-/

LDAP would be the way to go given the platforms you mention, although NIS would work for everything but Windows and would be much easier to set up.

[ ... ]
That would leave SMB/CIFS, meaning SAMBA, but I haven't found anyone able to tell me if CIFS is secure "over the wire". I seem to recall a utility that would sniff network packets and if NFS is used, it can capture the files as they're travelling over the network; can this happen with CIFS?

Oh, yes: unless you use an encrypted tunnelling protocol like a VPN or an SSH tunnel, pretty much all filesharing protocols are vulnerable to subnet-local sniffing. Using strong encryption when using wireless is a fine idea. :-)

SMB/CIFS is a reasonably good choice of filesharing protocol if you're dealing with Windows or Mac systems using HFS+ due to case-insensitivity. For a pure-Unix setup, NFS (or NFS+NIS) would be a better choice. Modern Unices handle SMB about as well as they handle NFS.

--
-Chuck