Richard Coleman wrote:
I'm using the most recent ports for mozilla and courier-imap on an up-to-date FreeBSD-stable. Very often I will not see new messages in a folder until I restart mozilla. I was convinced it was mozilla that was broken, but I've seen similar behavior using Thunderbird on my Windows box. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyone else seen this?

How are messages being routed to folders? If you're using some kind of server-side filtering make sure the box is checked that says "check this folder for new messages" in the properties of each folder. If the only filtering is through the user-configured rules in mozilla/thunderbird then everything gets delivered to the INBOX (or whatever is set up as imap root folder) and then filtered/routed to other folders AFTER the client is opened/started.

IOW this may be normal behaviour, not a broken client.

What is another decent IMAP client in ports?

IMHO thunderbird is one of the best for graphical imap clients - lean but featureful at the same time. I like Sylpheed as well.

Hope that helps