On 23 Aug, 2004, at 10:51, Steven Friedrich wrote:

On Monday 23 August 2004 01:39 pm, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
So, could someone tell me if my system is salvageable or not and what I
need to do?
Or, should I just start over?

Curtis

On 21 Aug, 2004, at 17:06, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
So, it is my understanding that I did in fact do things right (or that
is
to say that The Complete FreeBSD had the right directions. But that
something else went wrong.

BTW, I installed 4.8 from scratch.  Then spent a couple of days
preparing
to do a cvsup making sure that I set everything up right (sources:
Complete FreeBSD, freebsd.org, and this list.

Then I did the cvsup. Everything else I've already written about in a
previous letter.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that booting into an old kernel is an
option. I have looked at the files on my system and there is no
kernel.old or anything like it. There is only a kernel directory under
the
/boot/ directory.

What information do I need to provide to perhaps salvage this system?
And what steps did I possibly miss?

Curtis

"Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Yup.  Go back to the top --- I missed where
in your list of steps you actually *installed*
the new kernel...

That would be where he said:
make kernel

which is equivalent to "make buildkernel installkernel".

It doesn't explain quite what's happening here, though -- and he
didn't even *hint* at such basic clues as what version he was updating
from or to (there may be extra steps for large updating jumps).

Booting the old kernel is certainly worth a try before starting over,
though; the system is quite likely to be salvageable.

Try to boot into single-user mode, i.e., when the system boots, it'll display
a 10 second countdown. Hit spacebar to abort the countdown. Then type boot
-s and it'll boot into single-user mode with only the root partition mounted.

type mount -a to get the other partitions mounted.

Then redo your buildworld,etc., but skip mergemaster stuff.

Here's the steps:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF=yourkernelname (you DID copy GENERIC and customize
it didn't you?)
make installkernel KERNCONF=yourkernelname
make installworld
reboot

Skipping the mergemaster stuff will mean that any recent changes to various
config files will be missing, but you should be able to come up multi-user.

If these steps fail, it'll probably be easier to just reinstall.

As I wrote in an earlier letter, I can't get into single-user mode. Here's what happens after using the boot -s option:

It's asks: Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh

But when I hit RETURN, it says: pid 7 (ssh), uid -: exited on signal 12
Aug 20 08:41:58 init: single user shell terminated, restarting

and then it asks again: Enter full path....

I have tried also manually entering in:
/bin/sh
/bin/csh
/bin/chsh