W. D. wrote:
At 14:44 9/23/2004, Chris, wrote:

You could join in the FreeBSD tradition, though, and do it the
Right Way(tm) ...

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

An excellent tutorial/article by Dru Lavigne....

Kevin Kinsey

OK, after reading this tutorial, here is MY new WAY.

/usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /root/cvsup/ports-supfile
portsdb -Uu
portversion -l "<"   [to see if any ports will be upgraded]
portupgrade -arR   [so dependencies will be installed, if necessary]
[NB. If ever asked to run pkgdb -F, do it]

Taking into consideration other issues or options pointed out on the web tutorial, will this be a good strategy from now on for performing good port upgrades?

Curtis

Yes - this is more or less how I do mine. -- Best regards, Chris

OK, how about adding a cron job by root like this?

(Line will wrap.  Everything between '===' on one line)
15      3       *       *       *       /usr/local/bin/cvsup -h cvsup7.FreeBSD.org
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile && portsdb -Uu && pkgdb -fu && cd /usr/ports
&& make index

Then in the morning running:

portversion -l "<"

Would this automate things without causing problems?
Any other safe ways to automate the process?

Start Here to Find It Fast!™ -> http://www.US-Webmasters.com/best-start-page/ $8.77 Domain Names -> http://domains.us-webmasters.com/

I tend to do this in a periodic cron. Under /etc/periodic/weekly.
That also includes the output of portversion to the email.

Then in the morning, I run the upgrade.

--
Best regards,
Chris