I give up on trying to get VMWare 3.2 to work on either FreeBSD 4.x or 5.x. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. After 5 full days of trial and error on 3 machines, I think I can say it needs to be looked at by a non-newby.

The only time I got it to run was with a 5.2-Release installation with networking disabled (following Christian's docs). Every other configuration resulted in losing access to the hard-drive as soon as I hit the VM's "Power On" button.

I might try again if there is a known working solution, but for now I have to do a 6-week project on native Winblows.

I learned a ton, and wouldn't use any other OS on a server. I hope to run it on my desktop soon.

thx.