On Sunday 07 November 2004 19:10, Lloyd Hayes wrote:
> Any editing that I try to do beyond the Xorg -configure leads to 'User"
> and "Password" with it not accepting my system passwords. I searched for
> ".xinitrc" and ".xsession" and nothing showed up. I read in the FreeBSD
> handbook about creating ".xsessions". Following the exact directions
> listed, I got no such file or directory after:
> echo "#!/bin/sh" > -/.xsession
                    ^^^
This should be ~/.xsession, not -/.xsession

Ok I tried a setup on one of my machines to verify if gnome+xdm works:

Log-in as user and do:
 > echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/.xsession
 > echo "exec gnome-session" >> ~/.xsession
 > chmod +x ~/.xsession

Log in as root and do:
 # ee /etc/ttys
  change ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
  to   ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

Reboot the machine:
 * Xdm login-screen shows up.
 * Log-in as user.
 * The Gnome desktop should start up.

Took me 1 minute and gnome was up and running. I'm using 5.3-STABLE #0: Mon
Nov  1 06:38:37 CET / xorg-clients-6.7.0_4 / gnome-session-2.6.2.

> This was version 5.3
> Xorg is brand new, and there only seems to be a few lines of
> documentation concerning it. I'm new to this whole thing, and having a
> difficult time making sense of many things in the UNIX world. There is
> more documentation about version 5.2.1 then 5.3. I'm in the process of
> removing 5.3 and putting 5.2.1 back on here. And I think that I'll keep
> XFree86 on it.

If things don't work show us your logs and config-files:

~/.xsession-errors
/var/log/0.log
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
xorg.conf
~/.xsession
/etc/ttys

- --
Christian Hiris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu