At 11:08 AM +0100 11/22/04, Questions wrote:
Garance A Drosihn wrote:

Unless something happened in the past week or so, you can still have WRITE_DMA problems with the SiL 3112 if you connect a "fake SATA" drive to it, such as some of the Western Digital drives. ... These drives seem to work okay on more expensive SATA controllers, but I had a *lot* of headaches with one connected to a SiL-3112 controller. I suspect that the same people who are willing to live with a $10 disk controller are also going to be tempted to buy the less-expensive "fake-SATA" hard drives...

I've had in my test a Sil Image running on RELENG_5 cvs from last week with a Maxtor 160 SATA (sorry, don't have the model no handy atm) and it worked fine without any WRITE_DMA issues,

See also the recent thread on the FreeBSD-current mailing list, under the subject of: "Re; List of fake vs. real SATA drives". One of the messages in that thread notes:

    Currently native SATA drives are still not so popular.
    There are:
        Seagate Barracuda ATA V, 7200.7, 7200.8
        Maxtor DiamondMax10, MaXLineIII
        Fujitsu MHT20xxBH(2.5 inch)
    Any other drives (as far as I know, of course) are ATA drive
    with serial-parallel bridge.

There are a lot of these fake-SATA drives, and the price on them is
attractive compared to many of the real-SATA drives.  There are
some more details in that thread.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Programmer           or  [EMAIL PROTECTED]